Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Slow Cooked Pumpkin Oatmeal


I have been on a roll using my slow cooker and last night decided to try to cook pumpkin oatmeal overnight.  It worked and was delicious.  Here is the recipe:

1 can pumpkin or 3 cups fresh pumpkin (peeled, seeded and cut into chunks)
5 cups water
1 and a 1/2 cups steel cut oatmeal
1/4 cup agave syrup or sweetener of your choice
1 TBS brown sugar (I omitted this time because I do not like my oatmeal sweet)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients very well in slow cooker.  Cook overnight for 6- 8 hours on low.  Will come out very creamy and delicious after stirring in morning.  I added unsweetened coconut and slivered almonds plus a little bit of walnuts that were left over.

This recipe makes a lot, around 8 cups so cut in half if needed but I am going to try and freeze some for later use.  I also am going to try freezing in an ice cube tray to add flavor to yogurt.  Will let you know the results in a later post.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. i just made this recipe and am eager to try it out! i was wondering what a serving size is and how many calories are in the pumpkin oatmeal (minus the almonds and coconut)? tweet me the answers if you can! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to know that too? The serving size?
    And did the freezing go well, because it would be great to make a lot and freeze it for later!
    Thanks!
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe makes about 8 cups. I eat a cup for a serving and I find it very filling. I really do not do calories but will figure out and post soon. I ended up sharing with friends so I did not freeze. Will try freezing this week. I really love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...