Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh No Not Kitchen Duty

Since January is the time of year for renewal and starting over, I decided to do a post on cleaning out your refrigerator.

How often do you clean out your refrigerator? I would recommend a really deep cleaning every three months but if this is too much definitely every six months. I know that some people probably do not do this but once a year or maybe never. Have you seen the show Hoarders? Yuck! So lets come up with an easy plan to clean out the refrigerator.

First: TOSS

Most food does not last long in the refrigerator, maybe 2 to 4 days at the most. If you know you are not going to eat those leftovers immediately, go ahead and freeze them. Make sure raw meat is not left in the fridge too long and always store it in the coldest part of the fridge, usually the bottom.

Pull out those plastic containers full of who knows what and toss the food, especially if you can no longer identify what is inside. This is why I like to use clear containers when I store items. You will be more apt to eat the items if you can see them, than if they are in a closed container. If you use plastic containers, make sure they are BPA free. I have actually been switching all my containers to glass but I will tell you they are a lot heavier when pulling out of the refrigerator but I still think they are worth it.

So this time when I cleaned out my fridge, I was traveling for the holidays so it was extremely easy to get rid of items in my fridge. I used up almost everything I had in the refrigerator to eat before leaving. This way I did not waste food and it actually saved me money. When I returned from visiting my parents and before I got groceries, I cleaned out everything else that needed to be disposed of by checking labels for dates or if it has been in your fridge forever, toss it. Even those dressings, jellies, or any other condiments. I even throw out the nail polish I keep in there when I do this because I know it is time.

Second: DISINFECT

You need to wipe down all the shelves, drawers, and walls. I like to use water, white vinegar, and dish detergent. I clean out all the drawers and put new paper towels inside to catch any leaves or stuff that falls off of my vegetables or fruits. Plus the paper towels adsorb some of the moisture from the fruits and vegetables so they last longer. Vacuum the vents. Make sure there is no liquid spills anywhere under drawers and also remember to wipe the outside of the refrigerator. It has germs too.

Third: SHOP

Go to the grocery store and get groceries. When you bring your items home, it is easier to go ahead and wash any fruits and vegetables so that they will be ready to use. Separate any items that you want in single servings, and freeze any other items that might not be needed immediately. Take the time now and you will be so grateful when you are coming home after work and not having to do all the prep work to fix dinner.
The greens at the store were horrible or you would see more in the bottom drawer.

Remember that it is easier to keep items clean as you go rather than them getting out of control. So follow these steps and the next time you open your refrigerator, you will be so happy that you cleaned it out.

3 comments:

  1. it's that time of year---the greens in carbondale are also in bad shape. We have a little fresh and local farm market that only sells fruits and veggies (and some, honestly, are not local), but they usually look better than at the store. I really should go there more often, methinks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely! Amen to the glass containers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems like food generally looks fresher and better in a clean frig.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...