Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's In Season for January

Recently I have been to the grocery store twice and could not find any decent greens. Plus the fruit is not very desirable but do not get discouraged, there are still fruits and vegetables that are in season during the month of January.

First lets talk about the vegetables. I think the ones in season right now get somewhat neglected. They are not the first ones we think about but there are so many and I am talking about root vegetables.





Root vegetables consist of

carrots, parsnips, radishes, celeriac, turnips, ginger root, beets, sweet potatoes, potatoes. horseradish root, daikon, salsify, burdock root, celeriac root, malanga root, rutabaga, taro root, fennel, shallots, onions, and many others.  Remember that root vegetables grow in the ground.













Now lets talk about fruit. The main fruits that are in season are apples and citrus fruits. I eat a lot of oranges and apples right now. In order not to get bored I try and eat various types of oranges and apples. I will be posting soon about types of oranges.
Tell me what you like to eat right now. Would love to hear any recipes or ideas using root vegetables. Or your favorite one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...