Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yogurt, My New Obsession

Yesterday was National Frozen Yogurt Day so I thought I would post about my new obsession, yogurt. I know it is not frozen but could be if you want it. I have become addicted to greek yogurt and making my own comes very close.   I am using a yogurt maker in this post but I also give you a link for using a slow cooker to make your own yogurt.

First get out all your ingredients and utensils. This includes the yogurt maker, milk, yogurt or starter, measuring cup, pan, and thermometer (came with yogurt maker). My yogurt maker is by Doniver and I got it on Amazon. I like it but I would recommend one with the glass containers like my mom has, the plastic ones are a little hard to use.

The yogurt maker makes eight 1/2cup containers.  So you need to start off with 2 cups of milk which you are going to pour in a pan.

Next you are going to heat the milk on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbles appear  (see picture) around the edge of the pan and steam rises.

Once this happens, remove the pan from the heat source and add the Thermometer. Let the milk cool until it reaches the add starter level. You need the marker to be between the lines.

Then you are going to add 1 to 2 heaping Tablespoons of the yogurt or you can use a starter mix. Store bought yogurt is easier. Stir until well blended.

Then pour milk equally into the jars, cover securely with the lids and place jars in yogurt maker. Place cover onto yogurt maker. Plug in the unit.




Then press the hour set button and the minute if needed to the desired hour. I recommend at least 10 hours, so you need to do this first thing in the morning or late at night. I like my yogurt thicker so I usually do 12 hours. Then press the start button and leave it alone.  Time for fun things.





Once it finishes, you will have thick, creamy yogurt that you made and costs less for all kinds of things. I love mine over top of fruit!

I will tell you there are many ways to make yogurt and you really do not have to have a machine.  Here is a link to use your slow cooker to make yogurt, A Year of Slow Cooking: Making Yogurt

Why not give it a try. My next batch I am going to use coconut milk and see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. You and your cousinn Cathy need to meet. You think so much alike as far as foods are concerned.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...